Clicky

Sign in to follow this  
Gordo

Camp Fortune - April 9, 2017

Wow what a great ski day!. 15c by midday, loads of snow coverage and killer spring skiing.  Skyline and the Valley were both open with a dual slalom race on slalom. Even Swan Dive was still skiable with all natural coverage. Snow was corn but not slush, fast and fun. 

skyline2.thumb.jpg.6fa7ee6b8dcbfaeba1b566cd1650e053.jpg

atthetop.thumb.jpg.b08810c35c61de7576bb04b7190deaea.jpgskyline3.thumb.jpg.ab9b552b95cd7a1a1ec5afba6fd55ff6.jpgswandive2.thumb.jpg.a431515520fd161496c49648445a85c0.jpgskyline1.thumb.jpg.d515f89053d6f470e8a21bbb4d3f3881.jpg

Looks like plenty of snow still to be had in your area. I am hoping for the same this weekend for probably my last outing for the season. Love the pic of the lone lift tower. Love seeing old leftovers like this.

• Like 1

Camp Fortune posted on Facebook today their tentative schedule. Friday looks good but definitely check ahead for Saturday and Sunday... the current forecast calls for more rain... fingers crossed for a few extra days ahead.

SKI SKI SKI! Hours/Horaire

Our schedule: 
Good Friday: Valley and Skyline 9 am to 4 pm
Easter Egg hunt in the valley at 11 am
Beach party and live music with the The Jaymarcs in the afternoon at Skyline.

Saturday and Sunday: Skyline 9 am to 4 pm. 
All spring hours are subject to weather and snow conditions, if it rains we will be closed.

19 hours ago, Paul said:

Love the pic of the lone lift tower. Love seeing old leftovers like this.

The old lift remains are from a Poma double chairlift. Interesting to note that the top bullwheel was a floating one, supported by the rope and the cables from the counterweight at the summit (as opposed to a standard fixed return bullwheel)/

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shane said:

The old lift remains are from a Poma double chairlift. Interesting to note that the top bullwheel was a floating one, supported by the rope and the cables from the counterweight at the summit (as opposed to a standard fixed return bullwheel)/

The old Poma double at Mont Glen was of the same floating design. The lift is still standing today after the hill closed for good in 2008. The original double chair installed back in the early 60's. I believe the old double Poma that was at Mont Alta in the Laurentians was of the floating design too. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2017 at 9:20 AM, Paul said:

The old Poma double at Mont Glen was of the same floating design. The lift is still standing today after the hill closed for good in 2008. The original double chair installed back in the early 60's. I believe the old double Poma that was at Mont Alta in the Laurentians was of the floating design too. 

The double chairlift at Belle Neige, still in operation,  is of this design as well. It seems like there's no plans to retire this chairlift, since last year they replaced the original wood 1960s-style Hall chairs with the old ones from the Morin Heights double chairlift (now disassembled). 

• Like 1

Interesting fact Jake. I take it you refer to the old 'Access' double chair at Morin Heights. I always found that lift to serve a role, and get people over from the second parking area. Reminded me of the Cabriolet at Tremblant. Good to see part of it live on elsewhere, and put to good use.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2017 at 9:04 PM, Shane said:

Interesting fact Jake. I take it you refer to the old 'Access' double chair at Morin Heights. I always found that lift to serve a role, and get people over from the second parking area. Reminded me of the Cabriolet at Tremblant. Good to see part of it live on elsewhere, and put to good use.

Yes, exactly, the "Access" double chair. I've never skied at Morin Heights but from what I remember it was used on very busy days to bring people from the lower parking lot to the base. I have no idea of the actual distance this chairlift covered, but I guess it wasn't used enough to keep in operation. Now I believe they have a shuttle bus. 

EDIT: Just looking at Google Maps now, it's a longer distance than I thought. Seems to be about 60% of the length of the main mountain with a fair bit of vertical drop. 

The one and only time I skied at Morin Heights was 1982 with my aunt and uncle and we rode the access chair. I believe it was a Hall double chair that was used on weekends from the lower parking lot. It was odd riding it for me, as once you got to the peak you started to head downhill to the unloading ramp to get to the chalet. I think it was dismantled 2-3 seasons ago now.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this