Anyone know the fate of Madawaska Mountain? its a ski hill just south of Barry's Bay. Has/had about 18-20 runs serviced by a single T-bar. At the end of last season it went up for sale. The whole place was going for $600,000 on Realtor.ca then $500,000 now its not posted. I hope someone is going to try and take it over, if not it might be a good hill to do some telemarking/touring on.

madmountain.jpg

Looks like this would be great for someone to buy as their own private ski hill! 

It looks to be a decent size and the infrastructure would be easy to maintain. Too bad it's far from any city.

I found the mountain on Google Maps. Looks to be a nice size. Unfortunate it is closed. It must have been operating relatively recently to be listed on Google Maps as permanently closed, instead of not even being recognized.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Madawaska+Mountain/@45.4332764,-77.6601409,3360a,20y,180h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xa4682b395b6ac8d3!8m2!3d45.4362091!4d-77.6629282!6m1!1e1

It seems to be about 2 hours from Mount Antoine in Mattawan, Ontario, a mountain that has recently gone through a sort of rebirth. It operated until 2000, and was closed until 2014-2015 ski season.

Yeh it was open last year but I never got a chance to check it out. Their website was still up until recently. The sale came with two groomers, one very new, plus a nice large lodge with rental section, kitchen etc... I'm not sure they had any snow making guns though. Looking at the Google view you could make some nice glade runs with a little thinning.  If I had $500,000 to burn I'd buy it LOL.

Interesting. Hopefully someone with interest buys and reopens. Do you know what the vertical was? Similar to Chilly?

In the meantime, this discussion has re-peaked my interest in Mount Antoine. Perhaps a visit this winter. It's only 3h30 from Ottawa. 

I found this info on the hill:

www.madawaskamountain.com  
Elevation: Top: 1,350 ft.     Base: 900 ft.     Vertical Drop: 450 ft.
Total Terrain: 193 acres     Longest Run: 5,280 ft.
Difficulty: Beginner: 35%     Intermediate: 35%     Most Difficult: 30%

Judging by the pictures on the Realtor site, it doesn't appear to have any lifts still installed... hard to say for sure.

For the price looks like a great opportunity for someone wanting to dive into operating a ski mountain, or even just keeping it private. Very interesting.

The vertical drop is fairly good as well.

Gordo - I am one of the owners.  The property has an operating T-Bar, rope tow and tube tow, an 8,000 sq ft lodge.  It has an old snow making system  that requires updating, but the good news is we have a water intake on the neighbouring pond with piping up to the property. It still is for sale, or looking for other investors that would wish to partner.  The site is excellent for mountain biking, ATV trails, snowmobiling etc.

I can be reached at [email protected]

Guest Rob

Hi Bruce - I am a former ski patroller at mount madawaska and really miss the amazing skiing and people that this hill had to offer! I noticed that the property has recently been removed from MLS, have you found investor's and has there been any more progress on a potential re-opening? I am open to helping in any way I can, even if its simply helping to advertise the investment opportunity!

Guest Bruce

Rob - No potential buyers at the current time I am sorry to say. We have had interest from people wanting to use the property for other purposes and will consider this. Still a great investment opportunity for someone with the time to work on it. 

Hi Bruce,

Madawaska Mountain is a great little resort but I think the main selling problem is no snowmaking and a single T-bar.  With the current setup you at natures mercy.  Just look at this year, without a snow making base you would probably be down to grass already. Mont Chilly is a prime example its stuck with maybe a month or two of weekend openings on a decent snow year.  To re-open the mountain I think you would need a few million for the province plus investors willing to throw in a load of cash.  Does the place at least have grooming machines?

Hi Gordo, from what I saw (and correct me if I'm wrong) but Mont Chilly only opened 2-3 days this year thus far. Very precarious with the current weather trends. I just looked at the long range forecast and there's no day that it is really below 0'c for the next two weeks.

The snowmaking would be a definite asset with the changing climate but I think the single t-bar is not too much of an obstacle as there are other mountains in Quebec with only one or two t-bars for lifts. 

The industry runs now so much on thin margins it's incredible. The weather will only make it worse. Let's hope the climate stabilizes soon.

I agree unless we get loads of March snow Mont Chilly may be done for the season. I don’t mind T-bars but the problem with them is you need snow under your skis!  This can be an issue without snowmaking. 

Guest Rob

Shane and Gordo - I totally agree that snowmaking is probably the biggest issue facing the hill given the temperature fluctuations in recent years. Having said that, I spend a good deal of time in Bancroft and Barry's Bay during the winter and they are luckily much colder than where I live in Kingston. The snow season lasts much longer up there, so there is that plus. On the t-bar - its old but it worked well, and the hill had recently invested in a "kick-ass" new groomer that served mount mad well in its most recent operating seasons.  

Bruce - on the funds needed to upgrade the snow system, I find it hard to believe there are no provincial funding opportunities that can be applied for - maybe I can help with some research on that. I have reached out to my former ski patrol colleagues from the mountain and there is an interest in re-booting a community effort on this. Please keep us posted on your efforts and we will keep you posted on ours! 

Best, 
Rob 

W A N T !!!

I mean really, do I want a ugly cookie cutter home in the suburbs or.....my very own personal mountain?! As long as the cost is more or less the same :) 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.