Camp Fortune - February 27, 2020

Well we didn't quite get the snowmageddon that was hyped but the skiing at Camp Fortune was great regardless. 10cms of wet snow had fallen over night and it would snow heavy all morning bringing the total to close to 25cms by midday.  The drive was not great as highway 5 was like a cart track but it was worth the trek.  With temperatures around zero the fresh snow was heavy but you can't complain.  I managed to get fresh lines for a few runs on Heggtveit and Craigsmarc before moving to Meech and getting the first run after the Ski Patrol on the La Cache glade.  After several powder filled runs on the Meech side I moved to the valley.  The valley was quiet with the trick park closed off as well as Allen's Ally for a race. Slalom and Duffy had loads of fresh snow though. Back on Skyline things were clumping up fast but my legs were pretty much done by noon anyway.  On a sad note just after lunch Fortune had to close because of power issues.  Yesterday they were closed for a few hours in the morning because of a power outage.  Hydro may be cheap in Quebec but it sure its isn't reliable. 

20200227_093205.jpg

Craigsmarc was a winter wonderland of fresh lines. 

20200227_094337.jpg

20200227_095505.jpg

20200227_095653.jpg

20200227_095659.jpg

20200227_100536.jpg

20200227_100716.jpg

20200227_101608.jpg

First tracks on La Cache

20200227_101801.jpg

20200227_110057.jpg

20200227_110516.jpg

Slalom was so smeary

20200227_110623.jpg

Top of Duffy

20200227_113804.jpg

Skyline at noon. Lots of space for all. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well we didn't quite get the snowmageddon that was hyped but the skiing at Camp Fortune was great regardless. 10cms of wet snow had fallen over night and it would snow heavy all morning bringing the t

@Ocean I’m thinking Mount Titus or Mont Chilly Saturday.  

Posted Images

Nice report Paul. Sometimes the rewards are worth the effort in times like these. It may have been quite a challenging drive, as long as you don't drive like a maniac you'll be fine. Having the place pretty much on your own is great. Looks like a lot of first lines were had! Great shots of the glades! Hope you had a refreshing beverage at the end to top off a day like that. Well done!

@Gordo was it soft and fluffy in the morning? By evening, it was some fluff over crust at Edelweiss. Sorta disappointing. I guess I shoulda cut work and just headed straight to the mountain when I woke up at 7AM in the morning :/ 

@Ocean soft yes, not so much fluffy as the snow was pretty heavy.  In Ottawa around 4pm the temps dropped big time so all that wet snow crusted up fast.  As it was still snowing that snow became much lighter hence the dust on crust.

@Gordo yup. Oh well....MRG and Stowe were both looking good today. Contemplating some weekend travel! We'll see what time I wake up in the morning. Tonight trying to decide between Mont Rigaud and St-Sauveur. My binding is sticking on one of my sets of skis so aiming for St-Sau so the shop guys can fix it for me. Had to switch to my other skis last night and they were a bit less sharp so last night was challenging.