Ocean

Jay Peak last day, May 6, 2018

All good things must come to an end, and so it was with Jay Peak, or what was left of it. Apparently there were 26 "trails" open but this is probably the sum of many sections. When I woke up Sunday morning, I decided I'd have enough time to get down and ski for a few hours, which was just fine with me because I was aching from the previous day's hike. A friend had graciously gifted me a ticket at guest services, so all I had to do was show up and I was off and running! Stateside is the only side of Jay open, while it is normal for them to close out their season on Stateside, they'd had to close the Tramside earlier following a vicious windstorm that entangled the tram cables! I am told that there was still plenty of great skiing to be had if you did just a bit of hiking and planned to take the shuttle bus back however. 

I started out my day on the Bonnie, and given the condition I was in, decided to start out with a blue run. It was definitely worth the drive as conditions were slightly better but not so different from the previous day at Sauveur. Definitely a few slow spots on the blue trail, and a lot of soft bumps. Next I headed over to the Jet and discovered that conditions were slightly better, perhaps because Jet is a bit more shaded and thus cooler. I did a handful of runs and was able to move pretty quickly without getting stuck. At the end of the day, I just made it on to the last chair up the mountain and was greeted at the top with a glass of champagne. Who can say no to that! About 40-50 people were at the top celebrating the last day, ski patrol included. We all lined up for a photo, and then the race began - everyone took off at the same time down the Jet! Not wanting to rush down, I took the Montrealer and enjoyed a slightly more sluggish run. 

It turns out I hadn't been able to catch up with my friend who was skiing there, but as chance would have it, we caught up for the apres! He was telling me that people will be hiking up Jay for the next few weeks at least, but also that sometimes in the spring runs mysteriously close, and they don't tell anyone why. Well they found out the reason is bears !! If there is a bear spotted, they'll close the area to the public until it can be observed that the bear has moved away. Great way to keep hungry spring bears away from prying eyes! 

Such a great afternoon in the sun, I'm glad I was able to make the trip!

Skiing May 2018 233.JPG

About halfway up the Bonnie you can see the conditions are looking pretty, well, done. I'm told there were still some glades to ski through though!

Skiing May 2018 238.JPG

Tram tower 2!

Skiing May 2018 240.JPG

At the top of the Bonnie, the view of the peak!

Skiing May 2018 245.JPG

Conditions under the Jet are looking great! Haynes or another run was open as well, but I didn't hit it.

Skiing May 2018 250.JPG

The view.

Skiing May 2018 256.JPG

Riding up the Jet!

Skiing May 2018 259.JPG

Peak party with some new friends. This is right after many of the skiers/riders took off down the Jet. The lady in the dark shirt is from l'Estrie and plans to be at Killington in the coming weeks. Her friend is from New Hampshire. 

Skiing May 2018 262.JPG

Teaser shuttle tram.

See you next season Jay!

Great report Leslie. Looks like you had a good time. The conditions seem to still be pretty decent for this time of year, thanks to the late March and early April snow. I have only been at Jay in the summer, and the views are spectacular. Someday I will get there in the winter. Nothing like ending the season on a high note. I had been contemplating on heading out one more time but decided not to. Concentrating on getting my ski legs back into shape for next season planning trips and where to go. Hopefully we’ll meet up somewhere for a few turns.

Nice report. I'm still surprised that Jay didn't go longer than they did this year. They usually seem to go another week or two from what I remember. But judging by your pics, it the reason is clear, the snow is melting quite quickly. 

Looks like you had a great time out though. 

Yeah there's no way they could have stayed open one more week. I was surprised too until I saw it for myself. It was probably pretty patchy by the following week, though still hikeable for a few weeks that followed I'm sure.