Clicky

Shane

Sommet Saint-Sauveur - April 14, 2018

Being already mid-April, it is quite amazing that Sommet Saint-Sauveur has virtually the entire mountain still open for skiing. Even more impressive, very little to no ice all over, and no bare spots. Add to this, the main SnoPrk on versant Avila is open one last time this weekend.IMG_0258.thumb.jpg.330adffa9683e301b25b7edf6f20391e.jpg

The ski conditions were a mix of mostly hard base but as the day progressed and the trails were skied, a light layer of shaved snow presented itself. I know alot of people prefer the soft mushy snow, famous for its bumps, but with the continuing cold weather, those days are still to come. Luckily the mountain is well groomed and the surface quality is consistent from top to bottom, something I quite prefer.

My day started when I arrived for 8:30am. Quickly getting ready, I hit the slopes by riding the Atomic Express. From here I immediately headed over to versant Avila. This area has an almost 90 degree change in orientation from the rest of Saint-Sauveur and is generally quieter to ski. After skiing the classics of versant Avila such as Jack Rabbit (a beginner trail with some zig-zags near the end) and Laurentian (an intermediate with a profiled slope of rolls and banked turns), I found myself on Express. This is a very wide trail, perfect for getting some speed and working on your carving technique. With a nice constant pitch all the way down, it's easy to get into a rhythm and keep it the whole way down.

Express.

IMG_0156.thumb.jpg.3e4cfe524653b70513c0288497861f8c.jpg

IMG_0146.thumb.jpg.d98720317a7611413c7c473b938a21ee.jpg

From here, I returned to ski Dévaleuse and Côte 68, both intermediates and very popular for lessons.

Côte 68.

IMG_0164.thumb.jpg.62eb6c840911f3f056027d8709d5a088.jpg

Then back to the Atomic to ski the famous 70 Est and Ouest. Both these trails give incredible views of the valley of Saint-Sauveur, and definitely pull you into that 'One More Run' loop.

Côte 70 Est.

5ad3856a63456_IMG_0252washroom.thumb.jpg.5d426a387a41909d038b7cd35129d40f.jpg

IMG_0181.thumb.jpg.37107ce4cf4ef30524d8333ada3bb6e9.jpg

IMG_0199.thumb.jpg.9a9913819ab272fadf9084f06438762f.jpg

IMG_0188.thumb.jpg.cf763c656f2dedfc1a636916a907c0f0.jpg

Venturing all over the mountain I finally found myself on La Plagne skiing past the dream homes on the mountain. One day...

IMG_0236.thumb.jpg.4c70033ac20bfc50c871781b107fe591.jpg

Stadium.

IMG_0189.thumb.jpg.31446fec9b3a5b616051ac80f7d76c17.jpg

Jay.

IMG_0213.thumb.jpg.b46164687a069ea2b2aeda0b0830575a.jpg

Saint-Sauveur.

IMG_0231.thumb.jpg.ce9459f73a0e25624c82e6f91c2f6a37.jpg

Nordique.

IMG_0240.thumb.jpg.fa6d188321697251c5ea24786b63a346.jpg

Silver Park.

IMG_0245.thumb.jpg.82de1944c1d435884073da30f325aa48.jpg

With all the trails in great shape, only 2 trails, Jay and Côte 71 (both at the final bottom pitch) had some issues with ice. The rest, I couldn't have been happier.

Today was also the Slush Cup race event, featuring banked turns and rolls, very reminiscent of a ski cross track.

IMG_0256.thumb.jpg.1dc7b03a1f4145009b5a66d0723f0742.jpg

This year, the washrooms in the main chalet underwent a major renovation. While previously there were too few, now there is plenty. With an all-new amazing look filled with wintery landscapes, who knew going to the washroom while skiing could be so much fun. The sinks are quite innovative as they combine in one place, the soap dispenser, water and hand drying into one unit, further maximizing the space. Very neat.

IMG_0251.thumb.jpg.a07b31457f738ced53b62f2a4935f486.jpg

IMG_0252.thumb.jpg.e363dffe813edbf4acf5503d45d8854a.jpg

The washroom stalls themselves also have a large shelf available, perfect to place your helmet, gloves, and other gear. Details that go along way.

IMG_0216.thumb.jpg.ec9e3042305922c1a403fe25db13a39d.jpg

Also relatively new on versant Avila is the Experience IntroPlus initiative for beginners. The area has been redesigned to encourage and assist in the learning process, complete with a mini half-pipe, banked turns, rolls and a perfect slope. Each section designed to allow a different aspect and skill of skiing to be learned and practiced, at your own pace in a safe environment.

IMG_0150.thumb.jpg.c4766444869464bae56a90691e0a7251.jpg

IMG_0148.thumb.jpg.3c929e1a0d40e2a15a65dbf79010e934.jpg

Still snow a-plenty on Côte 70 Ouest. (upper right).

IMG_0247.thumb.jpg.8db066c1044f04dacc7cbc52841ac68c.jpg

After an unknown but no doubt high number of runs down the mountain, my day ends after over 5 hours of skiing.

Overall, a great visit and day to ski. With about a dozen ski areas left to operate after this weekend ends, Sommet Saint-Sauveur will no doubt have us spring skiing until mid-May. As they famously say during this time year, 'The grass is always greener at the neighbors', couldn't be truer of Sommet Saint-Sauveur. With snow a-plenty, come out and ski.

The mountain always impresses and never disappoints by brings out what makes skiing great. Great trails, perfect ambiance, impressive views.

Happy skiing!

IMG_0258.thumb.jpg.330adffa9683e301b25b7edf6f20391e.jpg

Great report Shane. Love the video. I have been to Sauveur very early season or very late season and only skied 70 West and Nordique. The video gives me a really good view of the rest of the mountain.  Hope it holds up until mid May as they hope to. The weather doesn’t look great for next week. I know they have a ton of snow but if it rains and warms up it can go quickly. Schedule for the next couple of weeks won’t be in my favour but I am hoping to maybe get up there before they close. Otherwise OH was my last day.

Guest Buba Joe

Informative report of a great legendary resort. I liked the video and the many photos that supported the story and your day of skiing. I hope that the rain does not shorten the season and that we can still take advantage until May.

Great video Shane. Love the time lapse stuff plus the moving shots are so smooth. Are you using a Gopro? The conditions look great. I was going to go to Fortune today with my sister but the wind and ice pellets made it a no go.  

Thanks for the comments.

I am using a DJI Osmo Mobile 2 and my iPhone for the motion shots and timelapses. I got it recently and it works great.... except when there is wind or you are going to fast or the snow is rough.

Sommet Saint-Sauveur (although it will always be Mont Saint-Sauveur and MSSI in my heart) is pretty much my favorite place to ski. The place and region just really resonates with me.

With some luck I hope to return again end of April / beginning of May to get another ski day in before the end.

Great photos, unfortunately I missed you by a day! I went on Sunday and let's just say it was not quite as nice. More on that later. I'll be going most weekends until it closes. :)

Just watched the video finally. Are you listening to that music while you're skiing Shane?

Also great report on the bathrooms. The new bathrooms are epic. I have never seen anything like this at a resort!

The bathrooms are unreal. Amazing. Definite step-up from the old ones, which were old, outdated and too few. Great change, and the graphics make it really inviting.

Nope, not listening to any music while I'm skiing. I like modern Jazz the most, and so the music is sort-of in that area that is used in the videos.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Ocean
      I arrived at Sommet Sauveur around 3:30pm. It was warm enough to ski with my jacket open but not warm enough to switch to my spring hoodie. I managed to get runs in on Red Bird, Jay, 70 Est, 70 Ouest and Nordique, and I was surprised at how slushy conditions were for a day where it was still cool and not sunny. They must have gotten a lot of rain! Had it been a really busy day, there would have likely been a lot of soft bumps forming. Mostly the trails were slushy slow snow/corn, with just a few patchy spots starting to form on a few trails. I was delighted to have arrived just after a few friends and we managed to do a super quick run at the end to catch the last chair and take our time down the 70 Ouest. Since the rain prevented them from being open this past week, they are now staying open until Tuesday so we can take advantage of the sun! Not much time for snaps today but here are a few!

"Bumps!" ya no kidding. 

Conditions on 70 Ouest bottom!

Looking up 70 Ouest!
    • By Ocean
      Sunday morning we woke up at the Cap Tremblant. I'd stayed up late after a night of puzzling over a 500 piece puzzle with many similar looking pieces. I already didn't have high hopes for a good day at Tremblant given Saturday's conditions, and the exceptionally crisp air confirmed my idea that it might be a better day to ski at Sauveur. After a delicious brunch of mushroom, onion, yellow pepper and swiss cheese omelettes, we packed up and headed to Sommet Sauveur. I actually saw that Mont Blanc was open Sunday and people were skiing at it, but I didn't figure the conditions would be much different from Tremblant and besides which the freezing rain storm was already on its way. We got to Sommet Sauveur around 3:30 and I skied most of the runs around the Atomic lift, although the bottom of 70 Ouest was closed due to the Slush Cup the previous day. Based on Shane's trip report, conditions had already significantly changed from Saturday, although they were still better than at Tremblant. Of course, just as I arrived to the mountain, it started spitting, and then icing (not quite rain, not quite snow), so skiing fast that day would get you an ice facial. They ended up closing the lift ten minutes early even though things were not getting worse (I mean, they really could have gone that last ten minutes so people could have one more run!). Still though, I managed to get in a good number of quick runs and a couple of snaps!

Rose tint through the Bedouin Tech sunglasses!

Yellow view of same spot. The splotches are rain drops.

Ride up the chairlift and more flat light. This run was pretty decent, Jay, not so much.

Even though the light is flat, these colours still pop!