Clicky

Gordo

Mont Ste Marie - February 1, 2018

Wow. Lets see 20cm of fresh light snow, warm temperatures and Cheval Blanc was left ungroomed.  I think this may have been one of the best days at MSM ever. I arrived right at the opening, took in the Vanier side for a few runs, then trained over to Cheval when it opened at 9:30. Then I skied beautiful powder for a good 3hours, had lunch and skied another hour or so.   By about 11 most of the powder was chop but since it was so light you could just steam roll over it.  People should remember on big snow days not to turn to much! save the snow.  Dustin Cook was the favorite. The steeps of Formidable and Besty were also great, a nice change from the icy hard pack.  I was surprised by how much snow they got considering Ottawa only got like 5cm and Camp Fortune around 10cm.  The footnote to this great day is when there is a big snow storm go to Mont Ste-Marie and ski unrolled snow.  Lets hope for a few more days like that..IMG_0366.thumb.JPG.11221ad1ea62bd78a8bb92564033b337.JPG..or how about a dozen. Cheers. 

DSCF1118.jpg

Exhibition on the Vanier side. Snow Cross course on the right.

DSCF1125.jpg

Betsy

DSCF1129.jpg

Dustin Cook

DSCF1131.jpg

More Dustin 

DSCF1134.jpg

DSCF1136.jpg

DSCF1138.jpg

DSCF1141.jpg

Lunch!

DSCF1142.jpg

DSCF1143.jpg

Serenade

DSCF1144.jpg

Deer on the way home

Dustinfresh.jpg

So fresh!

• Like 2

Oh man does that ever look sweet! So I see you had a tough day at the office 😜! Lunch looked pretty tasty too with a beer chaser. We got a bit of snow overnight but not like that. Thanks for the report and great pics. 

Well I plan my days off according to snow storms.  I also couldn’t resist the Mont Ste-Marie labelled beer! 

The lunch plate looked amazing, I have to say. Definitely gives me the interest to try the bar side of the chalet on my next visit. I usually always stay on the cafeteria open side.

Dustin Cook looked great. I personally love that trail, but I also really enjoy Bellevue and Serenade as they have that Tremblant big mountain feel to them, with all the turns, curves and rolls.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Gordo
      More snow, so I had to ski.  Went for a quick 4 hour mission with my sister to Fortune. With the new RFID system you can load 4 hours or a full day from home and skip any ticket line.  The  new gates also show you how long you have until your hours run out.  We arrived at Skyline around 8:30 just as the lifts started.  10cm had dropped already and the snow would continue for the rest of the day.  We blasted down Heggtveit for the first few runs then moved across the hill.  The new snow made the conditions great for the first couple hours before the soft snow got pushed around a bunch.  Hiding under the fresh was some spots of icy hard pack that showed up on Upper Canadian and Heggtviet. Skyline started to get a little busy by around 10 but the lines moved quick.  All in all, another great day of skiing with temperatures around 0c and light snow falling.  February is bringing the goods!

When is Craigsmarc and Swan Dive going to open?

My sister rocking some old school goggles.

Some bigger lines by 10am

Even the old triple was running in the valley.

North America? you must be ready.

Sparks
    • By Gordo
      Thank Ullr we have snow again! After a drought of several weeks we finally got the good stuff. The snow started light and fine in the Ottawa area around 1:30 but by 3 it was coming down heavy.  I made it to Fortune around 4ish and there was already close to 10cm on the ground.  The skiing was great! light champagne over the hard pack making for great turns. The place was pretty quiet and the wind was minimal with a temperature of around - 15c.  Word of warning, don't leave you ski boots in the car all day! Man they were hard to get on. Never again. All the main night skiing trails were open. I was hoping to get a few runs on Heggtveit before dark but it was closed. They had just had extra snow on the trail and still needed to push it around. I suspect it will be open on Friday.  I heard from someone on the lift that Fortune signed a new 20 year lease with the NCC for running the resort. This is good news as now they can do some long term planning.  Rumours have been giving up the McDonald and Alexander runs and replanting for glad accessed alpine touring. I say they move the T-bar to Slalom. Also rumours of possible expansion of the runs on the Meech side. Maybe a run under the lift or some glades?  Anyway back to skiing. Killer conditions, lots of fresh, light snow so you could just plow through the crud, a great night.  MSM tomorrow! 

The skyline parking lot at 4pm.

Upper Canadian 

Killer Night!

Fresh on Clifford

Nice and light

Night skiing at its best!