Clicky

Gordo

Camp Fortune - January 31, 2018

Thank Ullr we have snow again!DSCF1109.thumb.jpg.b695ae86f61e90f3e96df0aa4d5c7745.jpg After a drought of several weeks we finally got the good stuff. The snow started light and fine in the Ottawa area around 1:30 but by 3 it was coming down heavy.  I made it to Fortune around 4ish and there was already close to 10cm on the ground.  The skiing was great! light champagne over the hard pack making for great turns. The place was pretty quiet and the wind was minimal with a temperature of around - 15c.  Word of warning, don't leave you ski boots in the car all day! Man they were hard to get on. Never again. All the main night skiing trails were open. I was hoping to get a few runs on Heggtveit before dark but it was closed. They had just had extra snow on the trail and still needed to push it around. I suspect it will be open on Friday.  I heard from someone on the lift that Fortune signed a new 20 year lease with the NCC for running the resort. This is good news as now they can do some long term planning.  Rumours have been giving up the McDonald and Alexander runs and replanting for glad accessed alpine touring. I say they move the T-bar to Slalom. Also rumours of possible expansion of the runs on the Meech side. Maybe a run under the lift or some glades?  Anyway back to skiing. Killer conditions, lots of fresh, light snow so you could just plow through the crud, a great night.  MSM tomorrow! 

DSCF1094.jpg

The skyline parking lot at 4pm.

DSCF1097.jpg

DSCF1098.jpg

DSCF1101.jpg

DSCF1102.jpg

DSCF1103.jpg

DSCF1108.jpg

DSCF1109.jpg

Upper Canadian 

Killer Night!

IMG_20180131_180321185.jpg

Fresh on Clifford

IMG_20180131_180650905.jpg

Nice and light

IMG_20180131_180700932.jpg

DSCF1110.jpg

Night skiing at its best!

• Like 1

Wow, the skiing looked amazing. Looks like you also had the mountain almost to yourself. Nothing better than that when there's fresh snow! After a couple mediocre weeks of weather, it's good that winter is back.

Thanks for sharing your night. MSM today should be excellent as well. As they don't have night skiing, and the snow started shortly before closing time, it should be fantastic! Have fun!

Concerning the renewal of the NCC lease, I know that it was coming near the end... hopefully official word comes out to confirm it is true. It would be great news, and help guarantee the continued success and growth of Camp Fortune. Lots of expansion and development potential but since the land is owned and controlled by the NCC, it's definitely more involved to get things done than other ski areas, like Mont Ste Marie, where the land and the resort are owned and controlled by the owner.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Shane
      The Quebec government has announced investments of $1.3 million at Camp Fortune.  Great news!
      This investment will help realize Camp Fortune's four-season development projects. The project includes the purchase of snow guns and increasing snowmaking capacity to allow for a longer ski season. Also mentioned is the expansion of the chalet. 
      A second phase will permit a renovation and expansion of the aerial adventure, which would also add a two-lane zip line linking the three peaks of the ski mountain.
      More details can be found on the press release (French only) : https://www.newswire.ca/fr/news-releases/programme-de-soutien-aux-strategies-de-developpement-touristique---tourisme-hivernal---le-gouvernement-du-quebec-accorde-plus-de-13-million-de-dollars-au-camp-fortune-pour-bonifier-le-tourisme-hivernal-dans-la-674977463.html
      As more details come out, they will be shared here.
    • By Gordo
      Here is a quick report on conditions at Fortune.  Today was gorgeous, sunny and a high of 4. The runs were fast hard packed snow with a little bit of icing on top. The trails are in good shape and softened a tad by midday. Camp Fortune has managed to survive the freezing rain we had on Sunday very well.  I arrived at around 9:30 and was shocked by how busy it was. I guess everyone had the same idea. The lines were fast but I have to say the older crowd were acting like stoned teenagers. They couldn't line up well, they were falling getting on the lift, or standing to close to the chair as it turned around, it was like a bunch of retires who hadn't skied in like 5 years decided to go skiing today. Anyway I survived the mayhem and checked out Meech which is always quiet and the Valley. Slalom races were being held on Slalom and Canadian/Chute.  Overall a great day to get some sun and power down some groomers. Now lets hope for more snow and no rain! Ski on. 

Nice view, I think I see Vorlage. 

The passage to Heggtveit

Looking over the edge of Heggtveit. Steep and fast. 

Snow close up.

The woods beside the Meech chair.  Possible low angle blue rated glades? 

North American with all natural snow base. No one was on it. 

North American

Bump run on Clifford in the valley.

Slalom looking toward the main lodge.

Race on Slalom. The natural run Duffy to the left.

Trick/jump park on Pineault.

Skyline in all its glory. 

Kicking up dust on Heggveit.